Earthquake retrofit is a process used in construction to make the house strong during natural calamities. The aim of doing earthquake retrofit is to make the structure tough against earthquakes and various seismic activities.
Seismic retrofitting is another name for retrofit. Making the building tough against tremors, vibrations in the ground, motion of the earth etc, is the sole reason why you should prefer experts. Never rely on inexperienced contractors. Instead, contact experienced contractors to have a sigh of relief about the process of earthquake retrofit.
Keep in mind that no process can completely protect the building against the earthquake. But through the process of retrofit, one may make the structure safer and active even to the slightest ground movement. For new buildings it’s very easy to install with this type of facility and the old ones can also be well equipped, if experts are called in. The contractors of highest calibre have confirmed that majority of the damage is caused due to the foundation wall clashing with each other. To prevent the clash, one has to get the retrofit contractor who excels in the technique to make clash proof walls. They could be regarded as the one who deals with all kinds of stuff. They use the strongest material, which stops the foundation walls to fall against each other.
To keep a house from falling off its foundation in an earthquake, seismic retrofit strengthens three different areas of the house. If any one of these three areas is not adequately retrofitted, the house will be susceptible to damage in an earthquake.
These three areas are:
- Bracing the cripple walls with plywood.
- Bolting the braced cripple walls to the foundation.
- Attaching the floor of the house to the braced cripple walls.
Earthquake retrofit is basically done for three main reasons:
- Safety to public – It is the first and foremost motive. This process ensures public safety during earthquake.
- Structural Survival – People do retrofit to save their buildings. Maximum damage is avoided through this process and the buildings can be brought to their original shape with less expenditure.
- Structural Functionality – Structural functionality is the third reason for retrofit and this is to maintain the proper functions of the building even in the worst case scenario. Getting earthquake retrofit done is compulsory to be on the safe side, when the earthquake strikes.
Earthquake retrofit is a structural strengthening process which starts at the foundation of the property. There are different aspects intended for commercial and residential properties.
To get started today or for more information, contact us today to schedule a FREE on-site inspection by our team of soft-story experts or call us now at (818)287-8002.
Posted on Tuesday, April 23rd, 2019.